VIRGINIA LAW & PRIVATE SCHOOLS: A GUIDE TO OPENING & OPERATING A PRIVATE SCHOOL IN VIRGINIA
2023-2024 VCPE Law & Private Schools Guide Coming Soon! Please continue checking this page for updates.
**NOTE**: As a benefit of accreditation, accredited private school administrators will have digital access to the Virginia Law and Private Schools Guide via the School Administrator Page of this website.
Virginia Law and Private Schools is published annually by the Virginia Council for Private Education (VCPE), to support the motivation and commitment to quality education needed to operate a private school of high caliber. VCPE encourages all private schools to explore the possibility of state recognized accreditation through an approved accrediting association.
Regulatory and statutory changes made throughout the year are incorporated into the guide annually and newly discovered or updated resources are shared. All administrators and business officers are encouraged to review the entire guide annually and to consult with professional legal counsel with specific questions to ensure compliance with all state and legal requirements.
The Virginia Law and Private Schools Guide is a benefit of VCPE membership and is provided to all accredited private schools. Non-accredited private schools may wish to purchase our law guide. Please see below.
Are you an individual considering opening a private school?
Are you a private school without accreditation, wishing to purchase our law guide?
You may submit your request to purchase the 2023-2024 law guide HERE. In addition to your request, you must email a copy of your school’s business license to office@VCPE.org.
Approved requests will receive an invoice for payment sent to the email provided. Payment must be received within 30 days. Once your payment is fully processed, a copy of the 2023-2024 Virginia Law and Private Schools Guide will be mailed to you.
The 2023-2024 Virginia Law and Private Schools Guide will have been officially and completely legally reviewed for accuracy prior to printing. Below is a glimpse into the topics that will be covered in our 2023-2024 Virginia Law and Private Schools Guide:
- Business Operations
- School Programs
- Human Resources
- Health & Wellness
- School Safety
- Student Records
- Technology Resources
- Facilities Management
- Early Education
Federal Requirements and Resources
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA)
- Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) formerly ESEA and NCLB
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- E-Rate Program
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Individuals with Disability Act (IDEA)
- National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
- Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
- Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SVEP) and Information System (SEVIS)
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
- U.S. Department of Education, Office of Innovation and Improvement
- Office of Non-Public Education (ONPE)